Open House
casa abierta

For the 2018-2019 School Year
para el ano 2018-2019
Come meet the staff, learn about our kindergarten program, and enjoy some treats and refreshments!Venga a conocer al personal, aprenda sobre nuestro programa de kinder y disfrute de algunos bocadillo y refresco.

Main Menu:

Elkin History

The original Lewis Elkin Elementary School building located along the North East corner of D Street and E Clearfield Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was built in 1904 by Architect, Titus Lloyd.  In 1906 additions and alterations were made to the original building structure.  Then again in 1924 more additions and alterations were made to the building.  In 1929 the building was burned due to fire damage.  It was eventually restored and then finally torn down in 1973.  The new structure was built prior to the tear down in 1971 and it still stands today.

 

January 10, 1907

January 10, 1907

January 25, 1907

January 25, 1907

February 21, 1907

February 21, 1907

March 11, 1907

March 11, 1907

March 25, 1907

March 25, 1907

April 15, 1907

April 15, 1907

March 27, 1939

March 27, 1939

March 27, 1939

Lewis Elkin Elementary School - THEN

Lewis Elkin Elementary School - NOW

September 11, 1964 - Children bused from the George C. Clymer Public School, near Thirteenth and Cambria Streets, are greeted by teachers at the Lewis Elkin School, D and Clearfield Streets, where they will attend classes. Parents who walked their children to school look on.

September 11, 1964 - "70 students were transported by school bus this morning for opening day classes at the Kensington school. Children are shown as they line up to go into the school with lunches and school supplies in their hands. They will take their lunch at the school, and with not, as was first thought, be bused back to their area for the noon time meal. In background, on "D" street side of [the] school is bus that conveyed them to the Elkin school."

April 25, 1973 - "Open classroom concept is being tried at the new Elkin School on D st. and Allegheny Ave., Kensington. Under this system pupils learn in an 'individualized' way and are allowed to progress at their own pace. the setting is 'teacher pods' instead of conventional classrooms. The school was opened last Friday and replaces a school nearby that was built in 1903."

April 25, 1973 - "The open-classroom concept has kids doing different things in the same class." 

April 25, 1973 - "Two pupils in a pod with their teacher, Mrs. Diane Tennenbaum, are Sharon and Robert Smith. They are intent on a project in the health activities section. The new school has six four-teacher pods and two two teacher pods for 950 pupils."

April 25, 1973 - "Mrs. Diane Tennenbaum helps Karen Zeallor on an individual basis." 

(LEFT PICTURE) Murals depicting the four seasons are meant to deter graffiti on the elementary school. “This fall mural (blends into winter further along) is admired by first graders from Miss EleanorLyons room.” The Spring and Summer murals are located at the corner of D Street and Allegheny Avenue.

(RIGHT PICTURE) A beautiful multicultural mosaic was created to showcase the view from Allegheny Avenue along Elkin’s front wall.

October 29, 1975

September 19, 2017

 

 

Last modified: September 20, 2017